Peer to Peer Internet overlay protocols¶
Peer-to-peer Internet overlay protocols are a Layer 0 component.
Examples are: * Devp2p * Libp2p
devp2p is the secure networking suite that powers Ethereum, Whisper, and Swarm. It defines a set of networking and peer-to-peer protocols including RLPx, which it uses for authentication, stream multiplexing, network forming, and protocol multiplexing.
- Wiki - protocol specification.
- JS Implementation - library bundling different components.
- RLPx - peer-to-peer network and protocol suite.
- Gitt Chat - discuss the project.
libp2p is the modular secure networking suite that powers IPFS and Polkadot. It defines a set of interfaces for common networking and peer-to-peer protocols. libp2p is fast, robust, and powerful. It uses multiformats for self-description, avoiding algorithm lock-in, and cryptographic agility. libp2p handles Authentication, Transports, Stream Multiplexing, Peer Discovery, Peer Routing, Content Routing, NAT Traversal, and Relay. The coolest thing? It also runs entirely on the browser!
- GitHub Repo - full set of resources.
- Specifications - spec in libp2p, currently a work in progress.
- Rust Implementation - implementation in Rust from Parity Technologies.
- Website - homepage.
- Whitepaper - high-level overview, now outdated.